NEWS & RESOURCES
Clelan and Company Video Series
Are you ready to increase your understanding of current topics and their effect on your finances? Or looking for additional resources? You are at the right place! We encourage you to click on one of the video or article links below.
How Does the Current Economic and Geopolitical Climate Impact You?
Click here to watch Doug Clelan and Andrew Kern share some thoughts on the current economic and geopolitical climate and how this impacts you. Interested in learning more? We encourage you to click on the additional resources below.
- On the Mark - The Uncertainty of War
- Hank the Tank and Bear Markets
- What Issues Should I Consider During a Recession or Market Correction?
Seamless Stewardship - There is nothing more important than the people you love. After we are gone, it is the memories shared and how we impacted the lives of others that lives on. How do you give your final gift to the stewards of the legacy you have created? How do you make that transition as seamless as possible so that the details can be replaced with smiles and memories that bring joy? Click here to watch Liana Bateman answer these questions as she explains Clelan and Company's comprehensive tool that we are calling Seamless Stewardship.
Click here to watch Andrew Kern explain what a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) is and how it may provide tax benefits. Interested in digging deeper? We encourage you to read the articles below.
Click here to watch Andrew Kern explain some trends regarding Retirement Spending Patterns, including the Retirement "Smile". Interested in digging deeper? We encourage you to read the articles below.
- The Retirement Spending Smile - Estimating Changes in Retirement Expenditures
- The Impact of Decreasing Retirement Spending on Safe Withdrawal Rates
Click here to learn from Doug Clelan why concerns and questions over Inflation have increased. Interested in understanding how inflation may affect you or what history shows us? Learn more in the articles below.
- Inflation and Asset Performance: A Review of the Past 48 Years
- How Big a Risk is Inflation Really?
- Inflation vs. Bank CDs vs. The Mattress
Click here to watch Andrew Kern as he discusses Retirement Income, acknowledging some dangers that may exist to retirees and questions you should be asking as you plan your retirement.
- How Much Annual Income Can Your Retirement Portfolio Provide?
- Eleven Smart Moves to Make Your Money Last in Retirement
- Creating an Income Plan While in Retirement
- Converting Savings to Retirement Income
- Twelve Strategies to Generate Income in Retirement
Click here to watch our fifth video with Doug Clelan providing Three Key Takeaways related to Medicare, a topic of interest even if you are not yet 65 years old.
- Medicare Overview
- Making Decisions About Medicare
- Pre-Medicare Planning: 6 Caveats to Watch Out For
- Medicare Advantage: Understanding the Risks
- Appealing the IRMAA (Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount)
Click here to watch our fourth video where Andrew Kern looks at College Education Planning and provides some information about the rising costs of college and what financial vehicles you may be interested in utilizing for the cost of your children or grandchildren's college education.
- Saving for College
- 529 College Saving Plans
- 529 Plans and Estate Planning
- Financial Aid 101
- Federal Student Loans: Direct and PLUS Loans
- How Grandparents Can Help Grandchildren with College Costs
- 6 Ways to Cut Costs of College
Investors should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses associated with municipal fund securities before investing. This information is found in the issuer's official statement and should be read carefully before investing. Investors should also consider whether the investor's or beneficiary's home state offers any state tax or other benefits available only from that state's 529 Plan. Any state-based benefit should be one of many appropriately weighted factors in making an investment decision. The investor should consult their financial or tax advisor before investing in any state's 529 Plan.
Click here to watch our third video where Doug Clelan provides some information on Roth IRA Conversions. Interested in learning more? Please see the articles below to help determine if this is something you may want to pursue.
- Converting or Rolling Over Traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs
- Is Now a Good Time to Consider a Roth Conversion?
- Roth Conversion Opportunities in Difficult Times
Serial Roth Conversion:The Actual Numbers, Benefits of Multiple Strategies
Converting from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA is a taxable event. A Roth IRA offers tax free withdrawals on taxable contributions. To qualify for the tax-free and penalty-free withdrawal or earnings, a Roth IRA must be in place for at least five tax years, and the distribution must take place after age 59 ½ or due to death, disability, or a first time home purchase (up to a $10,000 lifetime maximum). Depending on state law, Roth IRA distributions may be subject to state taxes.
Click here to watch our second video where Andrew Kern provides some information on Donor-Advised Funds, along with three examples of when this investment vehicle may be something for our clients to consider. Interested in learning more? Please select one of the articles below to read additional insight.
- Donor-Advised Funds
- What is a Donor-Advised Fund?
- How a Donor-Advised Fund Works
- Is a Donor-Advised Fund Right for You?
- The Bodacious Benefits of a Donor-Advised Fund
Generally, a donor advised fund is a separately identified fund or account that is maintained and operated by a section 501(c)(3) organization, which is called a sponsoring organization. Each account is composed of contributions made by individual donors. Once the donor makes the contribution, the organization has legal control over it. However, the donor, or the donor's representative, retains advisory privileges with respect to the distribution of funds and the investment of assets in the account. Donors take a tax deduction for all contributions at the time they are made, even though the money may not be dispersed to a charity until much later.
Click here to watch our first video where Doug Clelan shares some thoughts on how a Presidential Election may influence the actions you take related to your investments. Interested in learning more? Please select one of the articles below to read additional insight.
- 2020 Election - Ten Truths No Matter Who Wins
- Elections Come and Go
- On the Mark - Elections and the Markets
Clelan and Company can offer compelling seminars for your company or group. Check out the list below and let us know if you are interested in hosting a seminar:
Below you'll find our latest e-Newsletter archives. You can subscribe to our free monthly eNewsletter on our Contact Us page.
Second Quarter 2022
- What Do Rising Interest Rates Mean for Your Money?
- What Causes Inflation and What To Do About It
- Baseball Lessons That Might Help Change Up Your Finances
- Splurge or Save? Making the Most of Your Income Tax Refund
- How to Correct an Error on Your Credit Report
First Quarter 2022
- Should You Speed Up Your Retirement Plans?
- 401(k) and IRA - A Combined Savings Strategy
- Your Social Security Statement: What's in It for You?
- Building Blocks for Financing College with Less Debt
- Usage-Based Auto Insurance Might Provide Savings
Fourth Quarter 2021
- Child Tax Credit for 2021: Will You Get More?
- Four Reasons to Review Your Life Insurance Needs
- Grandparent 529 Plans Get a Boost Under the New FAFSA Rules
- Stock Market Risks in the Spotlight
- Tips for Managing an Inheritance
Third Quarter 2021
- Ten Years and Counting: Points to Consider as You Approach Retirement
- Life Insurance Beneficiary Mistakes to Avoid
- Considerations When Making Gifts to Children
- Growing Interest in Socially Responsible Investing
- New Changes to College Financial Aid and Education Tax Benefits
- Real Estate for Income and Diversification
- Is Your Home Office Also a Tax Shelter
Second Quarter 2021
- A Financial Wellness Plan Can Help Pave the Road to Retirement
- Socially Responsible Investing: Aligning Your Money with Your Values
- Sharing Your Money Values Can Be Part of Your Legacy
- Are Value Stocks Poised for a Comeback?
- Tips to Help Control Your Finances During the Pandemic
- Test Your Knowledge of College Financial Aid
First Quarter 2021
- Seeking Sun or Savings: Explore a Retirement Move
- Five Tips to Regain Your Retirement Savings Focus in 2021
- Four Steps to Rebuilding Your Business
- Sequence Risk: Preparing to Retire in a Down Market
- Surge in COVID-19 Scams
- Estate Planning Strategies in a Low-Interest-Rate Environment
Fourth Quarter 2020
- Is it Time to Think About Tax-Free Income?
- Five Investment Tasks to Tackle by Year-End
- Printing Money: The Fed's Bond-Buying Program
- Is Now a Good Time to Consider a Roth Conversion?
- Portfolio Performance: Choose Your Benchmarks Wisely
- Incapacity and Advance Medical Directives
- Year-End Tax Tips for 2020
Third Quarter 2020
- Investor Psychology: Behavioral Biases That Can Lead to Costly Mistakes
- Ideas for Living Well: Improving our Emotional and Financial Health During COVID-19
- Mid-Year is a Good Time to Fine-Tune Your Finances
- Turbulent Times: Bear Markets Come and Go
- Tapping Retirement Savings During a Financial Crisis
- How Long Should You Keep Financial Records
At Clelan and Company, we know firsthand the upswings and the downdrafts of career, business ownership, and family life. Achieving balance is difficult. We also know that those shifting from the accumulation to the income and preservation stage of life want to minimize turbulence and experience clear sailing. They want the freedom of mind to enjoy their passions.
Achieving such a state doesn’t just happen, but we know the flight path to help you get there.
We start with a personalized plan—nothing cookie cutter here. And we communicate and connect with you in a meaningful way, knowing that you are the most important navigator of your own destiny.
Reaching your financial destination starts with a well designed plan, putting a smart team in place, and ensuring the vehicle to help get you there is fueled and ready. All you should have to do is climb aboard.
Learn more about our process